Nobody builds a website of any kind intending for it to sit vacant. Increasing traffic to your site is the crux of internet marketing. The point of having a website or blog is to be seen – to be found. Blogging is one of the best ways to increase your Search Engine Optimization, so it makes sense that you would want to have a popular blog with a lot of visitors. When you have a blog and you want to increase traffic, there are a few things to keep in mind
1. Write quality content consistently. There are two key parts to this: quality and consistency. Quality content requires several things. Content must be concise and easy to understand. In our fast paced age with an overload of information at our fingertips, lengthy narratives are simply not going to communicate to the majority of readers. They lose interest pretty quick. Think twitter length messages with deliberate language and the heart of your message at the forefront. (Obviously blogs are longer than 140 characters – but the point is that the message should be easily accessible.) Furthermore, if they start reading something on a blog or webpage that doesn’t speak to their level of understanding, they will move on and you will quickly be forgotten. You can’t speak in linux jargon to a person whose profession is in classical art, for instance. If you have trouble with writing in the way that works for your clientele and audience, consider hiring a ghostwriter to help you with your blog.
Consistency is the second crucial piece. You can post 4 blogs in one day, then post nothing for the rest of the month. Technically, you got 4 posts on your blog for the month, but your traffic is going to see an immediate high with a sudden plummet. This up and down inconsistency in traffic and hits is going to bring down your Search Engine Optimization since Google doesn’t know if your blog is actually active and relevant or if it’s forgotten. Inconsistency will also require you to reignite the interest in your blog anew each time you post a bunch of blogs because your audience goes for weeks without hearing from you. Much of your message can be overlooked with inconsistent posting as well, because you are forcing your audience to get a month’s worth of information in one day Consistent, weekly or biweekly posting is going to maintain an ongoing level of interest from your audience when they see something fresh on a regular basis. Moral of the story: be consistent
2. Build relationships with other bloggers. When you know other bloggers, you can do each other favors and link to each other’s blogs. When other bloggers know that you are an expert in “such-and-such” field, they will remember that and help drive traffic to you. If you want to increase traffic, link to other articles, both in your own blog and to others. I scratch your back, you scratch mine.
3. Learn some basic Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Search Engine Optimization is the term used to describe your ranking when a person searches for you online. The better your SEO, the higher you rank in the list. SEO is not paid, like ads are. It is the way that search engines determine which sites are most relevant to a search based on the terms and words provided. For example, if someone searches for “Houston Baker” there will be several dozen that come up. Which one is going to get more hits, exposure, and business? The one that has the best SEO ranking comes in at the top. Basic SEO means understanding keywords and how to incorporate them into your site, using social media for SEO, linking articles, and many other simple factors. There are loads of SEO websites – a basic understanding will give you a simple to do list.
4. Share posts on Social Media. Social media is a great place to go to get website hits. Everyone who has common interests with you are at your fingertips with social media. Facebook, Google plus, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter are all places to put your blog out there for the world to access it. Once it’s been shared all over the place, your job is done. Place link to your social media on your blog as well. This invites your audience to follow you of their own accord, which will bring them back time and time again. This will give your target audience a place to reach you easily. Read more about social media networking here.
5. Build an email list. Email is personal. It is an easy way to interact with your target audience in your time, with only the message you want to send them. It calls for them to engage with you, as you have connected personally with them. To read more about the advantage of building an email list, click here
Having a successful blog with lots of consistent traffic requires some focus and a few extra steps, but in the end the extra effort pays off.