You will find a plethora of online resources telling you how to create the best blog, how to start it, get it off the ground and start driving traffic. But, what about the common mistakes new bloggers make, the things you shouldn’t be doing that could harm your blog before it has even began? Well, that information can be harder to come by. So to help you avoid the pitfalls of a newbie blogger here are some things you shouldn’t do when starting a blog.

 

Photo credit Picography from Pexels 

Choose the wrong host

Your blog will need to be hosted by a hosting provider and this is a service you will have to pay for. There are many competitive rates available but ultimately it is the service that is more important, not the cost. If you find yourself set up with an inadequate host then you will only end up migrating your blog to a preferred provider in due course. This costs time, money, and technical skill. A good host will provide excellent customer service, they will be able to answer and tend to your queries, they will be able to ensure the security and reliability of your site and you will know your hard work is in good hands. Therefore, you need to ensure that you have signed yourself up with a host you can trust. There are many well-known hosting providers available so don’t be afraid to do your research and shop around. Consider a siteground alternative or Bluehost alternative before signing up to the first results on Google.

Inconsistency and infrequent publishing

If you are not producing regular content the search engines will not like your website. Search engine bots will trawl websites for updated content to ensure your website remains relevant. If you are failing to update your blog on a regular basis with fresh content then it will inevitably start to slide down the SERPs, search engine results pages.

 

Further to this, your audience and in turn your traffic will respond well to consistency. If you are publishing articles sporadically and without any regularity your audience will not know when to expect new content and your traffic will fluctuate accordingly. What is more, your audience will not stick around waiting for you to decide to publish something new. It is therefore best practice to set yourself a schedule on which you publish new posts.

Not spending enough time promoting articles

Content is absolutely king and good high quality content is a must. However, if you do not dedicate sufficient time to getting your content in front of people your blog will tank. A good metric to use is to adopt the 80/20 rule. That is 20% of your time should be spent writing and creating content and the other 80% should be spent promoting it. Time should be dedicated to ensuring stellar SEO practices such as keyword research and link building, social media promotion and email marketing.