Grab your FREE SEO ChecklistOptimize your site with my free SEO checklist and start ranking today Get your FREE Checklist!
SEO Tips – How to Optimize For Mobile
There are some differences with search engine ranking and optimizing the desktop and mobile versions of your website. Below I will explain what those differences are so you can improve your strategy.
Doing SEO on your website is important if you plan on ranking on search engines like Google or Bing. With the growth in number of people using their smart phones or ipad’s to get online mobile optimization and responsive design are more important than ever.
However, it is important to know that not all techniques that work for the desktop version of your site will work for the mobile version, since this requires different practices. In this post we will talk about some of the most important factors you need to be aware of to rank and receive mobile traffic.
It is important to emphasize that the ranking on google for mobile devices depends a lot on content, so keyword research is very important.
Mobile SEO Optimization Tips
- Engagement from Mobile searches are extremely high, Users usually require information quickly and are much less interested in scrolling down the search results. Therefore, keep in mind that being in the first position is even more important in mobile SEO. The phone screens being smaller makes it so you can not see more than four or five results if you do not scroll. For example, moving from the first position to the fourth in mobile SEO can lower the percentage of clicks by 90 percent.
- Mobile and desktops have different algorithms. Google wants to provide mobile users with the same, optimal experience they provide to their desktop users. Therefore, one of the essential factors that the mobile algorithm takes into account is the location, which gives greater importance to local SEO.
- Your priority should be to have a responsive design for mobiles, or you could receive a penalty from the search engine. You will also get a penalty if you do not have good navigation, and excessive popups. You can use Google’s test of mobile optimization here .
- The loading speed is very important: Improving the speed of your site is key so that customers do not get frustrated with your website and leave before it is loaded. In mobile devices users usually do not wait more than a couple of seconds, so you should try not to use plugins and other scripts that will increase your load time..
- In mobile it is not as important to rank longtail keywords, but to base the optimization on shorter keywords and with respect to the voice searches. Keep in mind that users of mobile devices do not write searches of seven or eight words, but they type the concepts in a concise way and usually with terms related to geolocation – see “Spanish Restaurants near Broadway” –
- As we have emphasized, local results are a priority, so it is essential to use your location next to the keywords if you have a business and want to gain visibility and climb ranking in the search engines.
If you have any other tips for Optimizing for Mobile post them in the comments below.